Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

03 gt clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Default 03 gt clutch question

Me And my girlfriend just purchased a white 2003 gt 2.7 v6 from a car lot and they say they just put a new clutch and flywheel in it then i came home and got online and they say there are problems with the clutches on the 2003 model.. am i still going to have problems with it and if so what will cause the problem... thanx guys

Old 04-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Default RE: 03 gt clutch question

am i still going to have problems with it and if so what will cause the problem...
You shouldn't have any worries if the work was performed correctly. Hyundai issued a technical service bulletin (#04-40-005) for this problem on this model of the Tiburon in March 2004. The dual-mass flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate were apparently redesigned sometime in mid-2003. The TSB stipulates new replacement components (with different part numbers from the original) should be used when servicing these clutches on Tiburons manufactured before April 2003. The problem resides in the "dual-mass" flywheel, which a two piece unit designed to minimize shocks to other drive components when shifting. The tolerances on these are pretty tight, and they are designed to work only with a matching disk and pressure plate (and starter too I think) designed by Hyundai. I know aftermarket repair kits typically provide a whole new, solid flywheel that is compatable with most disks and plates that fit this application.

If the work on your Tiburon was performed by a Hyundai dealership, the repair is likely good. If not, you may wish to ask who did the repair work and find out exactly what they did. If they replaced the flywheel with a solid one along with a new disk and pressure plate, it's probably OK and will be quite servicable for many years (depending how you drive, of course). The worse case scenario? That somebody simply replaced the disk and/or the pressure plate without regard to the flywheel situation. It's easy to find reports on the Internet about early clutch failures in Hyundais where mismatched components were used.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 03 gt clutch question

If they replaced the clutch and flywheel, you should be happy. Like Ken said, there were problems with the factory installed clutch in 2003. The replacement should be fine.