Hyundai Tiburon This coupe has been the sporty model from Hyundai for three generations.

Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Default Few Questions

Hello all. I have a few questions concerning the Hyundai Tiburon. I've been looking around on auto-trader for these cars and have found quite a few. I have also read many reviews about this car on edmunds.com My questions are:

Does the 4cylander automatic version come with cruise control? (I found a 4cylander version with manual that has cruise control, but no automatic.) (I don't know how to drive a manual.)

Does the V6 2.7l automatic version get any decent gas mileage? (Some reviews said it gets great, others said its horrible. Reason being, I do not want a car like my mothers Bonneville that has the 3800 series V6 3.8l engine. That cars gas mileage sucks.)

Is the insurance on this type of car really high? About what is the price per month, if you don't mind me asking? (I am an 18yr. old male. I live in the USA.)

Any real major problems with your car?

I have about 6k saved up for a down payment for a car and have a job that pays well enough to pay 240/month for one. (Autotrader had one for 240/month.)

If you are able to help me with these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Default RE: Few Questions

The cruise control is an option package. If Im not mistaken, I believe that it is part of the sun-roof package. So generally, if you see it has a sun roof it has cruise. Honestly, if you get the four cylinder youre going to regret it. To date, everyone I have talked to with the 4 wishes they bought the 6. Not that its unreliable, only that its drastically underpowered for the the weight of the car.

Youre 18 so you are going to get hosed on insurance anyway. I dont think as cars go its pricey for insurance but certainly not the least expensive. Just call your company and ask them what it would be. That way you know exactly what you are getting into.

And as for the gas well, on the V6 its about 22-24 city and 26-28 Highway. It really depends on how you drive. I can get up to 30 on the interstate if I mind my foot and stay about 70. Its not the best and its not the worst.

Are you buying used or new? If you buy used get at least an 05 or newer. There are less problems and there is a transferable warranty of 5 years or 60K. If you could find a very low mile 06 or 07 I would say go that route. The 03-04 had clutch issues that you dont want to get into as well as power window and sun roof motor problems. The newer the Tib the better as the bugs have been worked out and the longer the warranty works for you.

Other than those issues they run forever and look better than any other car in its price range.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Few Questions

1. Cruise control is standard on all US-spec Tiburons. Engine and trans does not matter. ALL come with cruise control.

2. I have a 2004 GT V6/auto and get about 25-mpg with both city and highway driving. I've gotten as high as 28-mpg.

3. Insurance isn't cheap but it's not terrible. The younger you are, the worse it will be.

4. The majorissues for the 2003-07Tibsare:
-BCM (Body control module)(mine died at 36K miles but was replaced under warranty)
-window motors (mine have not failed)
-power lock actuators (mine have not failed)
-leaking sunroof(I don't have a sunroof)
- bad clutches (mostly only2003 6-speed models)

Mine has been a great car and very reliable.