Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Chains VS Cables???? Any advice welcome!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Default Chains VS Cables???? Any advice welcome!!

HI!! I have 2007 Tuscon 4x4, 6cyl, automatic. I am taking a road trip from Seattle, WA to Tulsa, OK in 2 weeks and need to know what is better for the 2 mountain passes my family will have to cross!!!! I contacted my dealership and they said that "Hyundai" suggests NONE!! I couldn't believe that... there are times that chains/cables are REQUIRED to cross the passes in WA state! And my manual states that they are only necessary on the front tires? So, which is it?? LOL!

Also, I've contacted several tire retailers and they each say something completely different! I'm so confussed! I want to purchase them ASAP so I can become familiar with them before long the treck...

So, which is best?? Personal accounts/stories would be SUPER welcomed! Thanks!!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: Chains VS Cables???? Any advice welcome!!

I'm in Oregon, so I know what you mean about needing chains for the passes.
My owners manual says to use "class S" chains, and also indicated 1.46" of clearance is needed.
I bought a set of quick-fit chains at Les Schwab and they said they're low profile so they would fit. It looks like a tight clearance around the front wheel wells, especially since I have the factory mud flaps.
I'll be test fitting them today. I'll let you know.

Chains are only needed on front tires. Our Tucsons are not conventional4WD. They are front wheel drive, and when slippage is detected some drive power is transferred to the rear wheels. Yes, we can lock in 4WD but that's disengages at about 25mph according to the manual.

2007 Tucson
V6 Limited 4WD

Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 AM

Thank you so much! Finally it is clear to me why only the front wheels need chains!! Thanks! I actually went to Discount Tires today and they helped me out! I ended up with Z style cables instead of link chains.... I hope that was the right choice! I guess we'll find out in a few weeks

Old 12-09-2007, 11:20 AM

I put my chains on today and they are a close fit especially near the mud flaps when the wheel is turned. I might remove the front mud flaps for the trip to central Oregon at Christmas just to be sure I have enough clearance.
Are the Z style cable chains the typical "ladder" shape? Do you lay them on the ground and drive onto them to install?
Did Discount Tire recommend cable instead of chain? I'm curious as to what they said.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:53 PM

I actually haven't been able to try my cables out... it's snowing out right now! I contacted Discount Tire yesterday after my Hyundai dealership recommended them, as that is who they do business with, and they highly recommended cable instead of traditional linked chains.

The reasons being, they are very tight fitting, light weight, easy easy easy to install (I'll see about that when the snow lets up!!), are easier on the roads/tires/ride and tend to be less $$$ than chains. The employee also said that is what he uses on his own vehicle. I do believe you have to lay them out and then drive over them to install, but not 100% sure yet.

The Z style is not ladder style (which will at several points in a single rotation will not be contacting the pavment/ice/snow, but more of a zig-zag Z shape to allow for continualground contact.

I feel pretty confident in my purchase... but won't know until our trip!!