Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Kumho tires are BAD on wet or snowy roads

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Question Need help with Tires: Kumho stock tires are BAD on wet or snowy roads

I have the 2010 Tucson GLS, front wheel drive. It came with these Kumho tires. (I live in the Kansas City area.) I could barely get my car around last winter and stayed home several days because of snow. I really need to find an all-season tire that works better than these dangerous Kumho tires. What is everyone else using that has to drive in winter conditions? Any suggestions from "real-world" use would be really appreciated.

Last edited by bkl9678; 09-07-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Want viewers to know I am asking for assistance.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

First things first, no all-season tire is going to work well in snow. Sure a light dusting but if you get real snow, it's just not going to work. They are a compromise in 3-seasons at best. If you have to drive in snow (the kind of snow that would keep you home on all-season tires), you should have dedicated snow tires.

And how you drive (aka, skill) is just as important. I had no problem driving my Tiburon in snow on Kumho ASX all-season tires.

That being said, I have BFGoodrich Long Trail Tour T/A tires on my wifes Kia Sedona minivan. Other all-season tires that I've personally used in snow with no problems are (in order of preference):
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Pirelli PZero Nero All Season
Kumho Solus KH16
Kumho Ecsta ASX
BF Goodrich Traction T/A
BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS

Old 09-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I'm surprised by this.

When I got my 2009 4x4 Tucson it had 20k on the clock and Kumho KH15s fitted all the way round. Two weeks later we had 2 feet of snow and they coped fine. Had to drive 20 miles to pick up a new dog and didn't have a single problem on fresh or compacted snow. Now this could be the different of 4x4 but they did pretty well. I've since changed the front to KH17s which I believe are all season - or so Kumho say.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the posts. I should have included my tire model. Kumho Solus KL21. I have 30+ years of experience driving in winter conditions in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Wyoming. I have never encountered a car/tire combo like I have with this Hyundai Tucson/Kumho Solus KL21 where I am barely able to get around in the winter. These tires are TERRIFIC on dry roads--I can race around corners with no loss of traction. It is only wet roads and winter conditions that I have any problems. Have done more research since this original post and found on TireRack, and other sites, that other people who had this tire report the same problems on winter roads. Anyway, from this research I have decided to switch to the Hankook Optimo H727 tires. What I lose with fast cornering ability I believe I will more than make up for when driving on wet and snowy roads. Thanks again to all who posted.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM

bkl9678...good luck with your choice. I bought my Tucson last November and decided to run the all seasons for the winter. I have used all seasons in the past during the winter, but I believe thses were the worse tires I have ever used in snow. This year, I have purchased bridgestone blizzak dm-v1 tires for the winter and plan on a quality all season tire when I have to replace the Kumho tires.