Hyundai Veracruz This crossover combines the functionality of a minivan in a sleek exterior with luxury qualities.

2008 Hyundai Veracruz not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:16 PM
Exclamation 2008 Hyundai Veracruz not starting

Hello everyone!
I've had some issues with my SUV.. the fob would not turn for me to be able to remove the key so i did kind of force it to turn so i can remove my key after parking my car. After that when i tried to use it on my way to work the lights were going on and off and made a scratching sound when i tried to park or to remove it from park. The SUV stopped working after that, it would not turn, the starter would make no sound just one click, lights came on but when you turn it all the way (as if you would start the car) the lights would turn off. I have tried to replace the battery which did nothing. I did replace the starter relay and it worked for ONE day, we then replaced the starter and it worked for about a month! its doing the same thing again and i have replaced the alternator and still NOTHING. I am thinking its the ignition switch. at this time not a lot of mechanics are opened so i just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this situation.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM

As you know by this time certain things are supposed to happen when certain things are done.

I believe the problem(s) you are seeing at this time will require a list of checks in a particular sequence to assure that they are taking place. I don't know of any other way to say that.. There are at least 2 ways to go about this. One way is to do the "shotgun approach" and replace a bunch of good parts hoping one of them will fix the problem, which can get very expensive by the way, and the other is to start from a beginning and confirm each step produces the correct result. Since so many parts/areas could be involved, this could take some time to run through all the checks and tests to determine exactly where we are.and what we have or don't have.
Under the circumstances of today's problems you could be correct suspecting the ignition switch. Without actually being there to see what results we get when we do a check I don't know how much help we can offer.
Do you have any type test equipment to use ? If so , what kind and maybe we can suggest some steps to do that might shed some light on where the problem lies. What do you think?

I made the mistake of not asking if you wanted to or could do these tests

Last edited by hanky; 04-20-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:33 PM

It can be caused by high resistance in the circuit.
To rule this out, you can clean the battery posts. Do not say you replaced the battery.
Just do it. Then clean the cable terminals. Follow the negative cable to the chassis ground point.
Clean that up too.
Go to the engine ground strap. It may be near the transmission.
Clean that up also.
Follow battery cable that goes to alternator. Clean the cable terminals.
Now, follow battery cable that goes to starter. Clean terminals.
Locate ignition wire to solenoid on starter. Clean that up too.
Then test to see if issue cleared up.

Some people just do the big 3 upgrade
Sometimes the big four upgrade.
Change the battery to ground, alternator, starter, and engine ground cables for something bigger and better.

If that does not work then it is time to troubleshoot the ignition system.

Old 07-06-2022, 10:46 AM
Default Resolved

Had to order a replacement key fob and it resolved the issue. Basically, the programming in the fob wore out over time and caused it to not sync with the ignition switch all the time. I ordered it on eBay and had A LOCAL LOCKSMITH(emphasis on local because it's usually half the cost of the dealer) come and program in less than 10 minutes. (I did that because I could not drive the truck due to it not syncing with the ignition switch and I did not want to have it towed.) Honestly, it cost me less than $100 for 2 new fobs and the programming. Here's the eBay link https://www.ebay.com/itm/175319512229

Last edited by Kiarra; 07-06-2022 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Misspelling