Hyundai XG 350 The mid-sized luxury model

oh no.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Default oh no.....

i own a hyundai xg350 2002 model w 95 k on it.the other day i was driving my car home about 2 miles. it made the trip, but i noticed the headlights/ dashboard gauge lights getting dimmer.upon getting home, i got out of my car and let it sit for a lil while. when i tried to start it up again it wouldnt do anything. however, the radio worked and was making a dinging noise letting me know my keys were in the ignition. today i had a friend come jump my car, he put enough juice in my battery for me to drive about a mile. at that point all the gauges shut off ( ie spedometer went to 0mph even though i was doin about 30), radio quit, etc. shortly after the engine began to shut off and i was forced to pull over. does anyone have an answer as to what im dealing with here. is it an electrical issue, alternator problem, or dead battery? any advice is greatly appreciated

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Needs alternator.... Hyundai has since changed alternator, better charge character, smaller pulley, and need shorter belt...

XG alternator is kinda fun to do, especially if you have never done 1 before.. tight fit in there, comes out the top though.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 AM

ok, so if i JUST change the alternator i should be good, correct? also, should i be concerned about some deeper electrical problem?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Check charge voltage at battery with car running, should see at least 14v.. if less and keep dropping as loads turned on, test voltage at back of alternator, if same as battery,, replace alternator.

If you find 14 at alternator, and less at battery, you got a cable or connect issue, as battery should ideally be within 0.3v of alternator lug voltage.

Aged battery will put extra strain on alternator, so make sure battery has clean bill..

Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by sbr711
Check charge voltage at battery with car running, should see at least 14v.. if less and keep dropping as loads turned on, test voltage at back of alternator, if same as battery,, replace alternator.

If you find 14 at alternator, and less at battery, you got a cable or connect issue, as battery should ideally be within 0.3v of alternator lug voltage.

Aged battery will put extra strain on alternator, so make sure battery has clean bill..
well i brought my car into the shop to try and resolve this weird electrical issue. he said the alternator was fine. after tightening some connections to the battery ( and i think recharginh it) sent me on my way. the car worked fine for a couple days then bam, car died again. brought the car back to the shop and the mechanic seemed a bit befuddled. he ended up telling me i may need a different sized timing belt, so he changed that and charged the battery and sent me on my way. what do ya know, same thing happened. car worked for a couple days then died again. WHAT SHOULD I DO . do you think taking it to a hyuandai dealer is the only answer to fix this? this is getting to be a hugeee headache and is also expensive! HELLPP