New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2014 Accent Check Engine Light- p0650

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 07:47 AM
Default 2014 Accent Check Engine Light- p0650

Hey, all. Im new to this forum and do not have much car knowledge! I have a 2014 Hyundai Accent and the check engine light is not coming on anymore when I start the vehicle. I recently received a code of P0650. For some back context, I bought the car used from a dealer a little over a year ago (had only 100,000 miles), and the light WAS working as of about 6 months ago. When it first came on back in the fall, I took it in and found out it was a C02 sensor causing it to come on. The check engine light ended up going off on it's own before I fixed the sensor. I had the sensor replaced, and the light has never come back on since it originally went off on its own. Then this spring the car suddenly started acting like it was about to die after I drove it for a few minutes. I took it in somewhere for a full (and pricey) diagnostic test and they told me my exhaust manifold catalytic converter was clogged and needed replaced. I dropped over a grand to fix that. I wondered why the check engine light never came on when I was having the CC issues, so I started it up and realized it is not coming on at start-up- so its clearly not working (all other dash cluster lights are working). During a pricey diagnostic test at a mechanic I received the code P0650: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Malfunction. It says under Verified Fixes: "Fix Description, Check Engine Light Bulb". The mechanic said they would need to run a 2nd diagnostic test (for an additional $125) to determine what is causing the P0650 code. That seemed a bit shady to me since the first code gives a lot of info already (but I know nothing about cars). My question is, where should I start when trying to get this fixed by a mechanic? Do 2014 Accents even have MIL bulbs that can be replaced or are they soldered to circuit wires? (I cant find any info on replacing the bulbs). Is it likely a bulb? A fuse? A wire? Remember the light just suddenly went off after having been on for a few weeks, so it worked at one time. Any info is helpful since I have already dumped way too much into a car I still owe a lot on! Thank you!

Old 05-19-2023, 09:54 AM

It the sequence of diagnostics was questionable, I would suspect someone removed the bulb to solve a problem, hopefully this was not done.

The only way to verify it is to open the dash and make sure the bulb is in there and is good.
If that checks out OK, then we go looking for the other possible reasons which could include the vehicle PCM (Computer)

Old 05-19-2023, 02:52 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. I took it it to the dealership today and gave them the code and asked if they could diagnose it and tell me what was causing the indicator light to not work. They came back and told me I needed to replace the instrument cluster and quoted me $1400. This seems crazy high to fix, especially considering everything else is working on the cluster aside from the check engine light. If I do, in fact, need to replace the entire cluster in order to have a functioning check engine light again, it seems like its worth me finding a used one and learning to do this myself. I'm a female who doesn't know much about cars (but learns quickly), and it seems like swapping the instrument cluster out could be doable if I watch a few good videos, yeah? I guess the new one would need to be programmed?

Old 05-20-2023, 08:13 AM

There is something you might consider,

Remove what you need to remove, to get to the bulb and verify it is good. If it is the bulb, you can replace it . If not,you can consider your next move. We always try the simple things first.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:32 AM

I will do that. Thanks so much!