New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New guy crossing over from GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Default New guy crossing over from GM

Hello everyone, I'm somewhat new to the Hyundai world. My fiance has owned an '04 Sonata v6 (I never got more into it than routine maintenance), that we traded in last night and purchased a new 2012 Elantra GLS.
I personally have always been a GM guy, I own 2 cavaliers, a '98 daily driver and '04 that is my toy (supercharged, motor work, blah blah). So this will be my first Hyundai to call my own.
The MPG is honestly what turned us on to another Hyundai, her Sonata was getting about 22-25mpg, my '98 cav gets about 28mpg, and the '04 can blow through premium when I'm tuning or running Auto-X...typical mpg is anywhere from 25-35, depending how much my foot likes boost, lol. (Not to mention, one day at Auto-X, riding 2nd gear to constant redline, can eat over half a tank in no time!)

We chose a m/t GLS, and so far I am beyond impressed! I'm 6'3" and have more than enough leg room, and overall I feel the cabin is spacious (I felt more cramped in the v6 Sonata!). I'm very impressed with the newer Hyundai power plants, the car feels like it actually has a respectable torque curve for being a 1.8L (comparing this to 2.0L Chevy Cruze I test drove which was definitely more sluggish), and I love the 3.01:1 gearing ratio...shifting is very comfortable and I like the clutch engagement (this could be a fun Auto-X candidate some day lol), and having the extra tall 6th gear is definitely a plus.

Never though I'd be a fan of Hyundai, much less own one of my own, but I gotta say if Hyundai keeps up the good work, I'll be back for another. I'd like to replace my DD soon, and the Genesis R-Spec 2.0T is looking like a very possible option!

Last edited by Evilution; 09-17-2011 at 08:42 AM.