New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Default troubleshooting

hello - my name is rebecca and i am from south carolina. i own a 2004 sonata. there was a strange noise when i started it on the right side. it immediately stopped. i then smelled a strong smell of gasoline. the car is 3/4 full. i'm afraid to drive it to the repair shop. does this sound like a line popped? there is no leakage. please advise. thanks so much!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Default RE: troubleshooting

Welcome to the forum.

If the smell of gasoline is that strong and you are not mechanically inclined, I'd have the car towed to a garage for inspection and repair. If you are mechanically inclined, but can't tell where the fumes are coming from, I'd still have it towed. Second guessing gasoline issues that can't be resolved is asking for trouble. If the car has less than 60K on the odometer, having the problem repaired by a Hyundai dealer should be covered on the 5 year/60K bumper-to-bumper warrenty.

Good luck.

P.S. You could open the hood and inspect the passenger side of the engine to see it the serpentine belt that runs around the pulleys is intact. It may have failed and tore a fuel related line loose as it threshed about. The belt is not a warrenty item. Both should be an easy fix if this is the problem.