Other Hyundai Models This section is for any older European or American models that we may have excluded.

94 Excel window squirters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Default 94 Excel window squirters

I have a 94 Excel and the squirters quit working, I checked the tubing from the resevoir up to the squirt nozzels and all seems good but nothing comes out. Any way to trace down what might not be working? Thanks much,

Ron

Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Default RE: 94 Excel window squirters

If the tubing is good, then you have an electrical problem. Both the wipers and the washer are fed from fuse #10. If the wipers still work, then the fuse is still good. That leaves a bad switch (not likely), a broken wire (possible) or a bad pump motor (most likely). Unplug the connector from the pump that's installed on the bottom of the tank and check for voltage across the connector blades while someone holds the washer switch on. The voltage should go from zero to 12+VDC when the switch is turned on. I'm guessing the pump has burned out and needs to be replaced. Auto part stores carry universal replacements for these and they are not hard to remove and replace.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 AM

Thanks for the great info. I will check those things. Cool the pump is generic, I like cheap! I bet your right as
1) When I push the button, the wipers do start moving so the fuse and switch much be good
and
2) I don't hear that merrrrr sound that the wiper fluid pumps normally make so it must not be even pumping

Thanks much!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:50 PM

I don't hear that merrrrr sound that the wiper fluid pumps normally make so it must not be even pumping
Yes, that nails it down. I'd remove the tank and get the old pump out of the tank before you go shopping for a replacement. A good parts man will look at those and be certain that a universal replacement will work. You may have to cut off the original harness connector to wire up the universal pump, but that's not a big issue to deal with.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM

cool, thanks Ken, I think I'll have time tomorrow to do that. I looked down in there and looks like it's hard to see how to get the tank out, so much stuff around that area. But I'll get it[8D]

thanks much! I'll post back after I know for sure whats going on, thanks!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Ok, got it checked out today, must be the pump for sure. When I push the button the voltage jumps up to 12 but no water coming out. I then was messing with pump with the squirt button taped down and on, and it was getting really hot but making no noise or not pumping. So must be burned out.

Just for reference for others,
If you look down where the water fill spout rises, you can see a thin round black wire harness coming out of the hole, it leads to a round connector just behind the left front headlight. If you unplug it, it's easy to put the leads of a voltmeter right into the power supply side of the connector (don't measure the other side, it of course just goes to the pump and can't have any voltage when disconnected)
Also, getting to the pump and water chamber is weird. It's through the plastic left front fenderwall cover things. That took me a few to figure out. I Jacked the car up and took that plastic off and there it was